Yes. Haven't used them much in the OMVS environment, but I'm using them to help manage our ISV products.

Mark Jacobs

On 11/03/11 12:57, McKown, John wrote:
I'm just curious about something. Does anybody use SYMBOLICREATE to create aliases so that the
actual DSN can automatically change based on a static system symbol? I'm thinking about things
such as version numbers or z/OS&SYSNAME. Does anybody even have system relative DSNs? I'm
thinking perhaps like SYS2.&SYSNAME..PARMLIB with an alias of SYS2.SYSTEM.PARMLIB so that a
job can simply refer to SYS2.SYSTEM.PARMLIB and get the correct, system-specific, PARMLIB. I'm
trying to determine if it is actually useful. My manager likes for product libraries to have the
release/maintenance as a node in the DSN. But this means that we need to make JCL changes when we
upgrade. Or we need to put the executable libraries in the LNKLST. We currently do the latter,
but I don't really care for it for "low use" products. But is it better to create a
normal ALIAS without the maintenance level and simply reDEFINE the alias when I upgrade? Rather
than change the IEASYMnn member of PARMLIB. Or jus!
t do it like we do now and require JCL changes so that the JCL itself documents
which version/maintenance level is desired?

This is coming up, in my mind only so far, because I plan to use UNIX sysplex
sharing and use something similar. I plan to have a system-specific version of
then /usr/local subdirectory. In order to simplify things, I'll use a symbolic
link with $SYSSYMR like:

cd /usr
mkdir SY1-local
mkdir SY2-local
ln -s '$SYSSYMR/&SYSNAME.-local' system-local

and then in /etc/profile, have:

export PATH=${PATH}:/usr/system-local/bin:/usr/local/bin

so that a system local version of a program will override the "global"
/usr/local version.

John McKown
Systems Engineer IV
IT

Administrative Services Group

HealthMarkets(r)

(817) 255-3225 phone *

Mark Jacobs
Time Customer Service
Tampa, FL
----

One of life's greatest mysteries is how the boy who
wasn't good enough to marry your daughter can be the
father of the smartest grandchild in the world.

Yiddish Proverb