Allan said:
"The major drawback is that each SYMBOLICRELATE alias must be updated
(manually) whenever the
underlying object changes."

I don't see why. In fact, that is exactly the reason we DO use them.

Here's a 3.4 of our TMS.PROD datasets, for example:

TMS.PROD.CTAPMENU                        *ALIAS
TMS.PROD.CTAPOPTN                        *ALIAS
TMS.PROD.CTAPPENU                        *ALIAS
TMS.PROD.CTAPSAMP                        *ALIAS
TMS.PROD.CTAPTENU                        *ALIAS
TMS.PROD.PPOPTION                        *ALIAS

Here's a listcat of TMS.PROD.CTAPMENU:

ALIAS --------- TMS.PROD.CTAPMENU
     IN-CAT --- UCAT.VSYSXX1
     HISTORY
       RELEASE----------------2
     ASSOCIATIONS,
       SYMBOLIC-TMS.&TMSLEVL..CTAPMENU
       RESOLVED-TMS.V126SP00.CTAPMENU

Here's my symdef for TMSLEVL:

SYMDEF(&TMSLEVL.='V126SP00') /* Level of TMS                */

Here are my libdefs for TMS in ISPF:
"LIBDEF ISPMLIB DATASET ID('TMS.PROD.CTAPMENU')"
"LIBDEF ISPPLIB DATASET ID('TMS.PROD.CTAPPENU')"
"LIBDEF ISPTLIB DATASET ID('TMS.PROD.CTAPTENU')"

And here's my definition for
DEFINE ALIAS (NAME(TMS.PROD.CTAPOPTN) -
SYMBOLICRELATE(TMS.&TMSLEVL..CTAPOPTN))

I ran this a year or so ago when the low level qualifiers changed for CA1, but
other than that, these aliases never change. Perhaps you're thinking of a plain
old relate.

MA