On 4 November 2011 16:41, Roberts, John J <jrobe...@dhs.state.ia.us> wrote:

> Canada was further along the metric road at one point.  Then the government
> changed
> and they (Brian Mulroney's Conservatives) backpedalled on a few things.
> Mostly it was weights and measures in the supermarket, just so grandma
> wouldn't get confused.  So while canucks buy gasoline, milk and wine by the
> litre, meat and veggies are still in pounds.

Grocery stores have both systems on the signs, but typically the
pounds are in larger type. But this varies by region.

There are several areas where we went from imperial to metric to US
measures, thanks to FTA and NAFTA and lack of standards enforcement.
Paint used to come in (imperial) quarts and gallons, then switched to
1 and 4 litre cans, and then to US quarts and gallons (er, I mean 946
and 3780 mL).

> Pilots still deal in altitudes expressed in feet, distances in nautical miles
> and speeds expressed in knots.

But temperatures are given only in C. US pilots, who fly over Canada a
lot on some US domestic routes as well as US-Europe, don't seem to
have any problem with this. And even in the US, tire sizes are in a
mix of mm and inches.

> I've been away awhile so I don't know if a beer is 500ml or an imperial pint.
>  Maybe Ted knows.

Still imperial, at least here in Ontario.

Tony H.