From: "Roberts, John J" <jrobe...@dhs.state.ia.us>
Sender: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu>
Date:         Fri, 4 Nov 2011 15:41:55
To: <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu>
Subject: Re: OT measures was Re: Out damn'd GMT ...

On 11/4/2011 11:31 AM, Clark Morris wrote:
> Canada may be officially metric but I am looking at an advertisement
> for meat at $4.99 a pound at my local grocery here in Nova Scotia,
> Canada.

>Canada is all screwed up <G>  We bought jewelry, chocolates, and
>a book at a Halifax mall, and each receipt had a different date
>format.
Canada was further along the metric road at one point.  Then the government
changed
and they (Brian Mulroney's Conservatives) backpedalled on a few things.  Mostly
it was weights and measures in the supermarket, just so grandma wouldn't get
confused.  So while canucks buy gasoline, milk and wine by the litre, meat and
veggies are still in pounds.  In CFL football, it is still 1st down and 10
YARDS to go.  Pilots still deal in altitudes expressed in feet, distances in
nautical miles and speeds expressed in knots.  Highway speeds and distances are
in kilometers (there are signs to warn Yankees that a limit of 100kph is really
~60mph).  Two by four construction lumber is still the same dimensions (more
like 1.6in by 3.2in).

I've been away awhile so I don't know if a beer is 500ml or an imperial pint.
Maybe Ted knows.