Lindy

> ... they took long time to implement a resolver.

There has always been a "resolver" function in "TCP/IP for VM", "TCP/IP for
MVS" and the IP component of z/OS Communications Server (CS) (CS IP). What you
may have in mind is the introduction of the "resolver" *address space* in z/OS
V1R2 CS IP.

Since it is the responsibility of the manuals to explain such developments -
maybe also the responsibility of folk playing the role of system programmers to
discover such explanations! - here is what the z/OS V1R2 Communications Server
IP Migration manual says about the introduction of the "resolver" *address
space*:

<quote>

4.2 Resolver Enhancements

Prior to z/OS V1R2, the resolver function was implemented as part of the
various socket APIs (Application Programming Interfaces) available on the z/OS
platform. As a result, multiple versions of the resolver function were
available, one for each type of socket API supporting resolver calls. All of
these resolver libraries were quite similar in their support of
resolver functions but had slight differences from an administrative and
configuration perspective. For example, the resolver search logic to locate its
configuration file (TCPIP.DATA file) varied depending on whether the
application was using the TCP/IP provided Socket APIs or the C/C++ Socket API
provided by the LE (Language Environment) component of z/OS.

In z/OS V1R2, the various resolver libraries supported by the TCP/IP and LE
APIs are now consolidated into a single resolver component. This allows
consistent name resolution processing across all applications using the TCP/IP
and LE socket APIs. The new consolidated resolver is automatically enabled on
z/OS V1R2 and requires a new system address space that is automatically started
during UNIX System Services initialization. The consolidated resolver offers
several enhancements over previous releases:

</quote>

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/f1a1b110/4.2

> If so, how were hostnames resolved?

Well, it's not so and so the question becomes immaterial!

Chris Mason