Chaucer spelt it "cherl".

Martin

Martin Packer,
Mainframe Performance Consultant, zChampion
Worldwide Banking Center of Excellence, IBM

+44-7802-245-584

email: martin_pac...@uk.ibm.com

Twitter / Facebook IDs: MartinPacker
Blog:
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/blogs/MartinPacker

From:
"McKown, John" <john.mck...@healthmarkets.com>
To:
IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu,
Date:
20/12/2011 13:10
Re: Question on PR/SM dispatcher
Sent by:
IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu>

A "churl" is a very old word for a "peasant" or "free man". But became to
be used for someone who has no manners or "breeding". To be "churlish" is
to have "bad manners". Like telling a new mom: "That is one ugly baby!"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Churl
<quote>
This meaning held through the 15th century, but by then the word had taken
on negative overtone, meaning "a country person" and then "a low fellow".
By the 19th century, a new and pejorative meaning arose, "one inclined to
uncivil or loutish behaviour".
</quote>

--
John McKown
Systems Engineer IV

Administrative Services Group

HealthMarkets(r)

(817) 255-3225 phone *

proprietary information. If you are not the intended recipient, please
message. HealthMarkets(r) is the brand name for products underwritten and
issued by the insurance subsidiaries of HealthMarkets, Inc. -The
Chesapeake Life Insurance Company(r), Mid-West National Life Insurance
Company of TennesseeSM and The MEGA Life and Health Insurance Company.SM

Unless stated otherwise above:
741598.