"Shane" <ibm-m...@tpg.com.au> wrote in message
news:<20111220123112.2a437a52@xpfs>...
> On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 09:20:16 -0500 Tom Russell wrote:
>
> > PR/SM dispatches Logical CPs not Logical Partitions.
<SNIPPAGE>

- I am quite sure that pr/sm always dispatched Logical CPs and Amdahls
MDF dispatched entire domains (their word for lpar).

<snippage>

PR/SM and LPARs are IBM's answer to MDF (Multiple Domain Facility and
Domains). In fact, IBM was AMDAHL's second customer to pay for MDF. But
because the machine they had wasn't ready to be field upgraded, IBM wasn't
the second customer to have MDF (man, lots of memories have been awakened
by this posting).

Through the 5990 machines, all LPs were dispatched simultaneously in a
Domain. The idea was that we did not want to cause a spin lock loop
problem that would cause ACR. We also were trying to solve a problem with
I/O elongation (a domain would start an I/O, lose dispatch, the I/O would
complete and the interrupt would be "hanging" until the Domain was
dispatched again). We had discussed asynchronous dispatch, but it was
decided to not implement it. Then came the big layoff of 1989 just after
Thanksgiving... I have no idea what happened after that as I never saw any
AMDAHL machines after the 5990-1400s in any shop where I worked.

I do know that IBM implemented asynchronous dispatch. When, I don't know.
And the particulars I don't know. And I don't work in POK so I don't have
access to the LPAR - PR/SM logic, so I honestly can't speak to that at
all.

Regards,
Steve Thompson
Staff Software Engineer