Shai

As I have already reminded Lindy Mayfield, the best list for this sort of query
is the following:

For IBMTCP-L subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send email to
lists...@vm.marist.edu with the message: INFO IBMTCP-L

-

I detect that you are not very comfortable with the details of how to configure
the statements in the PROFILE data set of the IP component of z/OS
Communications Server. That being so, you need to explain whet you really want
to do to the IP system programmer at the customer location.

If, as appears to be the case, your customer has two "home" IP addresses,
192.168.254.200 and 192.168.254.254, and IP address 192.168.254.254 is the
address assigned to the interface normally used to enter the local intranet ...

Actually I suspect your relative inexperience has managed to introduce some
confusion here. I suspect 192.168.254.254 is the IP address of the interface on
the shared LAN belonging to the adjacent router which features on the ROUTE
DEFAULT statement and not the IP address of the local interface on the shared
LAN. That "254" is a bit of a "give-away" since it is the Cisco convention for
the *logical* IP address of the interface on the shared LAN belonging to the
adjacent router when in fact there are typically two adjacent routers to the
interfaces on the shared LAN of which the actual IP addresses end with "253"
and "252". All this depends on having what used in olden times to be called a
"class C" address range for the local LAN, also typically used when an intranet
uses RFC 1918 IP addresses and addresses can be assigned with relatively gay
abandon!

If I am correct here I expect 192.168.254.200 may well be the address of the PC
on the local LAN.

And, if all of this is correct, you don't even need to ask your original
question because it will all simply work exactly as you want!

In other words, the PC to which you refer is connected to the local LAN and
this local LAN has the following interfaces connected to it:

- the probably z Series OSA feature with IP address 192.168.254.xxx

- the PC with IP address 192.168.254.200

- the adjacent router (logically) with IP address 192.168.254.254

All these addresses fall within the IP address range 192.168.254.0 to
192.168.254.255 or more strictly 192.168.254.1 to 192.168.254.254 since
192.168.254.0 and 192.168.254.255 would not be used as specific interface IP
addresses.

Note that the marvels of the usual processing directed by the IP routing table
in each of the nodes mentioned will route your IP traffic exactly as you want
without having to introduce any additional complications such multiple
instances of the IP component of z/OS Communications Server, VIPAs, whether
static or dynamic, the SRCIP/ENDSRCIP block or BIND parameters of PORT
statement list entries.

You may even like to persuade the customer person who asked the question to
have a word with the IP system programmer, either the one responsible for the
IP component of z/OS Communications Server or the typically Cisco adjacent
router(s), who may well be a "Cisco person", and he or she or they will confirm
what I have said - assuming I have guessed the configuration correctly.

If I have made too many guesses, please explain more of your configuration and
post HOME statement and the statements which constitute the routing table in
the PROFILE data set of the single instance of the IP component of z/OS
Communications Server.

-

If it's important in order to support your product, you might like to get some
education in IP matters.

As self-study, you can use redbooks which can be downloaded starting with
"TCP/IP Tutorial and Technical Overview":

http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/gg243376.html

and ending with the "IBM z/OS V1R13 Communications Server TCP/IP
Implementation" set:

http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redpieces/abstracts/sg247996.html
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redpieces/abstracts/sg247997.html
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redpieces/abstracts/sg247998.html

Note that I have been obliged to include the V1R12 version of Volume 4, since
the V1R13 version has not yet appeared.

Chris Mason