Frank Swabrick wrote:

<begin snippet>
| No, I'm not expecting a real answer to that question.
| Just trying to point out why it's hard, to say the least,
| to know how to size files of this type.
</end snippet>

The question itself has not been very well formulated.

No one, I hope and suppose, sizes files directly in cylinders, tracks
or megabytes.  These are derived quantities.  One begins with record
types, their individual sizes, and their expected volumes/counts.

Initially one has only estimates, often poor ones, of
transaction/processing volumes, but these estimates can be improved
incrementally by collecting statistics of the volumes actually
experienced during processing and then analyzing these data..

That this is not much done does not been that it cannot or should not
be done.

Adequate capacity planning and even many design decisions are
impossible without the systematic collection and analysis of such
information.

John Gilmore, Ashland, MA 01721 - USA