re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012b.html#98 5 Byte Device Addresses?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012b.html#100 5 Byte Device Addresses?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012c.html#16 5 Byte Device Addresses?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012c.html#17 5 Byte Device Addresses?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012c.html#27 5 Byte Device Addresses?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012c.html#28 5 Byte Device Addresses?

misc. past posts mentioning page replacement & virtual memory management
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#clock
and some old email
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/lhwemail.html#globallru

a recent thread in comp.arch discussion started out asking about
mainframe queued i/o processing (in thread on interrupt paradigm
overhead)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012c.html#20 M68k add to memory is not a mistake
any more
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012c.html#23 M68k add to memory is not a mistake
any more

also discusses various device optimization for page i/o operations.

this has survey and taxonomy of i/o systems ... including some
discussion of mainframe queued i/o
http://www.cs.clemson.edu/~mark/io_hist.html

there is also reference to longer discussion in IBM JR&D ... which used
to be available free but is journals are now behind IEEE paywall
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/Xplore/login.jsp?reload=true&url=http%3A%2F%2Fieeexplore.ieee.org%2Fiel5%2F5288520%2F5390413%2F05390415.pdf%3Farnumber%3D5390415&authDecision=-203

In '75 ... besides endicott con'ing me into doing a lot of stuff
for 138/148 "ECPS" (microcode assist) ... old post with part of
data used in determining "ECPS":
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/94.html#21 370 ECPS VM microcode assist

at the same time a group in POK con'ed me into doing a lot of design for
5-way SMP. The processor technology had lots of provision for microcode
... so I dropped some amount of multiprocessor dispatching complexity
into the microcode (reminiscent of later intel 432 ... or current
mainframe LPAR dispatch management) ... as well as a queued i/o channel
interface ... superset of the later 811 (370-xa specification named for
nov78 date on lot of the specifications). some past posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submain.html#bounce

for whatever reason, the 5-way SMP project got canceled ... but a little
later reborn as 16-way SMP effort ... and some of the 3033 processor
engineers were con'ed into helping in their spare-time. This saw a lot
of early acceptance ... but then somebody mentioned to the head of POK,
that it might be decades before MVS could effectively support 16-way SMP
... and the head of POK told the 3033 processor engineers to get their
noses back to the grindstone (and stop being distracted) ... and others
got invited to never visit POK again (this was all before 3033 first
shipped).

misc. past general posts mentioning SMP support and/or compare&swap
instruction
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#smp

misc past posts mentioning dispatching & dynamic adaptive scheduling
(also started when I was undergraduate in the 60s)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#fairshare