martin_pac...@uk.ibm.com (Martin Packer) writes:
> One experience from teleworking which should appeal to mainframers: By and
> large 3270 is the least demanding data stream - so TSO / ISPF goes fast
> even on "broadband" as crummy as mine. (It's all the other junk that runs
> really slowly when the wet string dries out.)
>
> Now I may be in a minority but I bet this counts for lots of people.
>
> Anyhow, having telecommuted for more than 10 years I'm looking forward to
> this article: "You are not alone" is a useful thing to hear. :-)

recent thread on "user-friendly"
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012.html#11 Who originated the phrase
"user-friendly"?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012.html#12 Who originated the phrase
"user-friendly"?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012.html#13 From Who originated the phrase
"user-friendly"?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012.html#15 Who originated the phrase
"user-friendly"?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012.html#16 From "Who originated the phrase
user-friendly" thread
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012.html#19 From Who originated the phrase
"user-friendly"?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012.html#22 Who originated the phrase
"user-friendly"?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012.html#27 From "Who originated the phrase
user-friendly" thread
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012.html#31 Who originated the phrase
"user-friendly"?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012.html#33 Who originated the phrase
"user-friendly"?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012.html#36 Who originated the phrase
"user-friendly"?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012.html#38 Who originated the phrase
"user-friendly"?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012.html#43 Who originated the phrase
"user-friendly"?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012.html#44 Who originated the phrase
"user-friendly"?

above thread includes definition from ibm jargon:

bad response - n. A delay in the response time to a trivial request of
a computer that is longer than two tenths of one second. In the 1970s,
IBM 3277 display terminals attached to quite small System/360 machines
could service up to 19 interruptions every second from a user I
measured it myself. Today, this kind of response time is considered
impossible or unachievable, even though work by Doherty, Thadhani, and
others has shown that human productivity and satisfaction are almost
linearly inversely proportional to computer response time. It is hoped
(but not expected) that the definition of Bad Response will drop below
one tenth of a second by 1990.

... snip ...

part of the discussion was the horrible TSO response and significant
performance degradation going from 3277/3272 combo to 3278/3274
(although TSO response was so bad that none recognized how much worse
the 3274 controller was compared to 3272).

I did vm370/cms that got .11 trivial interactive response (next nearest
system with similar load and configuration was more like quarter second)
... and the 3272 controller added .086 seconds ... resulting in .196
response seen by end-user. longer discussion in this post:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001m.html#19

When Santa Teresa lab (now silicon valley lab) was bursting at the seams
in 1980 ... they were remoting 300 people from the IMS group to offsite
building. They had looked at "remote" 3270 for interactive developed
... and the IMS group users found it horrible and unacceptable compared
to the vm370/cms service they were getting with channel-attached 3270
controllers in the building.

I got roped into doing the channel-extender support for putting remote
channel attached 3270 controllers at the remote site (resulting in them
not seeing any difference between local and remote site) Recent
discussion touch on some of the topic:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012c.html#41

The transition to web/browser has caused me some annoyance ... because
of end-to-end synchronized latency. Nearly a decade ago, I started
making extensive use of browswer asynchronous tabs ... clicking on URL
would be done in background in different tab. I even created process
that would automate some of the process ... fetching hundreds of web
pages at a time into background tabs. Then I could immediate switch
between different tabs w/o having to experience the synchronous web
latency.

misc. past posts mentioning browser asynchronous tab operation:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2004e.html#11 Gobble, gobble, gobble: 1.7 RC1 is a
"turkey"!
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2004e.html#54 Is there a way to configure your web
browser to use multiple
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2005n.html#8 big endian vs. little endian, why?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2005n.html#41 Moz 1.8 performance dramatically
improved
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2005o.html#13 RFC 2616 change proposal to increase
speed
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006q.html#51 Intel abandons USEnet news
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007m.html#8 John W. Backus, 82, Fortran developer,
dies
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2008b.html#32 Tap and faucet and spellcheckers
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2008b.html#35 Tap and faucet and spellcheckers
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2008h.html#10 What would be a future of technical
blogs ? I am wondering what kind of services readers except to get from a
technical blog in next 10 years
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2008k.html#67 Intel: an expensive many-core future
is ahead of us
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2008p.html#29 How were you using the internet 10
years ago and how does that differ from how you use it today?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009m.html#66 What happened to computer
architecture (and comp.arch?)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009r.html#36 SSL certificates and keys
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010b.html#48 Happy DEC-10 Day