A session manager on the mainframe (CL/Supersessions or equivalent functionality) is your friend! This protects you not only from remote failures but local glitches as well. The current screen from multiple logged-in applications is maintained by the session manager and unaffected by drop outs occurring between the end user and the session manager. Applications like TSO don't see a session failure that only affects the link between the user and the session manager (unless it lasts so long that application sessions time out from inactivity).
  Joel C Ewing

On 03/04/2012 12:25 PM, David Betten wrote:
One thing I'll add to that is that if your internet service periodially
drops, it's a real pain if you're connected to a host 3270 session.  For
example, my wife primarally does email and web browsing while working from
home.  So if our internet signal drops for a few minutes and then comes
back, she's not likely to even notice.  However, if I'm scrolling through
code or a hex dump and the sevice drops for just a few seconds, it's a
major headache getting loging back on and hoping my sesson reconnects to
where I was.  Our latest VPN client seems to offer a bit better recovery
from that by maintaining the session but a few years ago it was a major
headache for me.

Have a nice day,
Dave Betten
DFSORT Development, Performance Lead
IBM Corporation
email:  bet...@us.ibm.com
DFSORT/MVSontheweb at http://www.ibm.com/storage/dfsort/

IBM Mainframe Discussion List<IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu>  wrote on 03/04/2012
08:49:57 AM:

From: Martin Packer<martin_pac...@uk.ibm.com>
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu,
Date: 03/04/2012 10:01 AM
Subject: Re: Writing article on telework/telecommuting
Sent by: IBM Mainframe Discussion List<IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu>

One experience from teleworking which should appeal to mainframers: By
and
large 3270 is the least demanding data stream - so TSO / ISPF goes fast
even on "broadband" as crummy as mine. (It's all the other junk that runs

really slowly when the wet string dries out.)

Now I may be in a minority but I bet this counts for lots of people.

Anyhow, having telecommuted for more than 10 years I'm looking forward to

this article: "You are not alone" is a useful thing to hear. :-)

Cheers, Martin

Martin Packer,
Mainframe Performance Consultant, zChampion
Worldwide Banking Center of Excellence, IBM

+44-7802-245-584

email: martin_pac...@uk.ibm.com

Twitter / Facebook IDs: MartinPacker
Blog: