From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf
Of Farley, Peter x23353
Sent: Thursday, March 01, 2012 2:25 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: Good source for relationship of opcodes, models, MACHINE() and
ARCH()

Charles,

The "Summary of Changes in xxx Edition" sections in the Preface of the
z/Arch PoOP each list pretty comprehensively which "facilities" or
instruction enhancements were documented in each edition of the PoOP, and
each edition corresponds reasonably closely to a particular generation of
processor.

The descriptions of each of the added "facilities" documented elsewhere in
the PoOP usually also includes a table of which instructions were added or
enhanced, or at least a listing of those instructions.

Below I have pasted a list which I prepared for my own curiosity (admittedly
incomplete and possibly incorrect) of which edition of the PoOP corresponds
to which z/Arch machine.

HTH

Peter

Ninth Edition       SA22-7832-08    z196 (2817)

Eighth Edition      SA22-7832-07    z10 (2097)

Seventh Edition     SA22-7832-06    z10 (2097)

Sixth Edition       SA22-7832-05    z9 BC (2096), z9 EC (2094)

Fifth Edition       SA22-7832-04    z890 (2086), z990 (2084)

Fourth Edition      SA22-7832-03    ???

Third Edition       SA22-7832-02    ???

Second Edition      SA22-7832-01    z800 (2066), z900 (2064)

First Edition       SA22-7832-00    ???