Well, our old computer room had a exit button to unlock the magnetic lock.
Located right next to the Halon discharge button. And both were painted red,
for some weird reason. Neither was "secured". So, to exit one night, a
maintenance worker pushed the Halon discharge instead of the exit button.

At another shop, the EPO button was on the wall near the door. There were two
370/145s in the room, on opposite walls. The operators were playing "bat the
can" between them. One did a perfect pitch and hit the EPO switch. Instant
darkness because the computer room was in the basement.

Case of worse manangement decision. It was snowing, a rarity in Ft. Worth TX.
Building maintenance, in their wisdom, asked themselves why the hell a water
chiller was running in a snow storm. So they shut it and all AC off. Started
getting very warm in the computer room (two 370/145s & 3330 disk drives).
Operator called ops manager. Direction from the ops manager: "Continue running
the system until it stops, because we don't want the Police dispatch function
to be impacted." Luckily, only one disk controller actually suffered any
damage. The rest just thermal checked and shut down uncontrolled. Again,
complete darkness, except for the newly installed emergency lighting.

--
John McKown
Systems Engineer IV

Administrative Services Group