I was told that at the old DEC plant in Maynard, they got a lot of HDA
crashes about the same time of day. They finally figured out that a
delivery was made at that time every day, and the truck would back up to
the loading dock and bump it. The old wooden building would shiver, and the
HDAs would crash. The fix was to turn the disk packs 90 degrees: these were
*vertically* spinning, so doing that meant the head might skip to the wrong
track (which apparently would be handled) rather than crashing into the
platters.

I think I have those details right...at least how I heard it!
--
zMan -- "I've got a mainframe and I'm not afraid to use it"