On 28 Mar 2012 08:28:02 -0700, in bit.listserv.ibm-main you wrote:

>Ask the auditors, and/or hire an independent research consultant specializing
>in mainframe security, to find some published accounts of mainframe
>penetration that were NOT due to insiders; e.g., viruses.  Print your own copy
>of all such accounts.  Study them closely to see where the real weakness was.
>Over the years I have heard of several mainframe penetrations and usurpations,
>but they were all due to insider activity.  The first one I heard about,
>however, was an outsider who found program listings in a trash can outside of
>the data center's building, which had been tossed there by developers inside
>the building and/or janitors at night.  The listings were not considered worth
>securing or shredding.  The perp went to prison for a while, then after being
>released he turned into a mainframe security consultant.  There are many
>things to consider besides anti-virus detections; e.g. who has keys to the
>data center room, to any of the offices containing terminals, logon pass!
 w!
> ord protection, etc.  Maybe the auditors have already checked out all these
> other areas, are just trying to be comprehensive, and do not understand that
> one size does not fit all.

While z/OS is probably immune to executables being introduced from
outside, how vulnerable is a web server to outside attack (Apache,
Websphere, etc.)?  Java on the server side is effectively executable
code.  If dynamic SQL is allowed, I understand (but don't know for
certain) there are various interesting exploits. There is the story
about little Bobby Tables.  SQL injection is apparently a problem that
I would assume could afflict DB2 under some circumstances.  In short,
as I understand it, there are some vulnerabilities that do not require
machine language executable code.

Clark Morris