1) HRECALL the dataset
2) if the data is not 100% "printable", run a program to make it "printable".
   this step is critical, IMO. If you don't then the file on the new system
   likely to be at least partially unreadable. Or copy it as BIN and write
   a file viewing program that runs in the Open Systems environment.
3) either HMIGRATE the dataset or just delete it.

Copying to the Open System's disk space could be done in a number of ways. ftp
is my first thought.

If the Open System has NFS capability, then you could use the z/OS NFS client
to "mount" an NFS exported entry (subdirectory) on the Open side and use OCOPY
to copy the data, or use the z/OS NFS server to export the z/OS high level
qualifier(s) needed so that the Open side could "mount" and copy the file data.
I would think that using the NFS client on z/OS and server on the Open side
would be easier because the "mount" and "copy" could all be done on z/OS.

Instead of NFS server, you might be able to use SMB to make z/OS UNIX files and
datasets available to Windows clients. But this requires actions on both z/OS
and a Windows PC to "mount" and "copy" the data.

If you have Dovetailed Technology's Co:Z product (free to license) and an SSH
server on the Open side, then you could use the Co:Z Launcher to run a script
on the Open system and use the "fromdsn" command to transfer the disk dataset
contents to the Open side, piping the output to a command (such as cat on UNIX)
which can write it to a file on the Open disk.

The Dovetailed Technology product is free to download. You don't even need to
register. You do need to install the programs on z/OS and on the Open System
system(s).

http://dovetail.com/

--
John McKown