On 4/16/2012 3:26 PM, McKown, John wrote:
If so, have you figured out how to specify a PDS as an "include" or
"copybook"source? The documentation for this command basically stinks.

There is an -I switch. But it apparently only accepts UNIX path specifications.
The ld command (binder) accepts a PDS name via -L "//pds.name". The as command
(HLASM) and C compilers accept a -I "//pds.name". I may end up writing my own
version of the "cob2" command, if I really decide that I want to compile COBOL
from the UNIX shell. I'll likely model it after the as command.

Yes. I discuss this command in our course "Developing Applications for
z/OS UNIX". But you're right, the doc is very poor. The assumption seems
to be that copy books must be in HFS directories and my experiments
produce error messages that would support that.

In a way, that's too bad. OTOH, I, too, was assuming that copy books
would reside in HFS directories so I had never tried to access copy
books as members of a PDS before.

You would think that if you used the classic clue that a library was
a PDS/E, the compiler could figure it out. Maybe:

export SYSLIB="//'SCOMSTO.U520.LIBRARY'"

which I tried, and the message from the compile comes back:

 LineID  Message code  Library phase message text
     24  IGYLI0049-S   The "COPY" library "SCOMSTO.U520.LIBRARY/APODEFS" was not
                       found.  Skipped to the period terminating the "COPY"
                       statement.

so it was pretty clearly expecting (nay: requiring) a z/OS UNIX
file, not a PDS.

I'm copying this over to ibm-main, too, as Tom Ross occasionally
follows that group so maybe he will chime in with some info.

John McKown
Systems Engineer IV
IT

Administrative Services Group

HealthMarkets(r)

(817) 255-3225 phone *

For MVS-OE subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions,
send email to lists...@vm.marist.edu with the message: INFO MVS-OE

--

Kind regards,

-Steve Comstock
The Trainer's Friend, Inc.

303-355-2752
http://www.trainersfriend.com

* To get a good Return on your Investment, first make an investment!
  + Training your people is an excellent investment

* Try our tool for calculating your Return On Investment
    for training dollars at
  http://www.trainersfriend.com/ROI/roi.html