Note: I did attempt to send this to the DB2 group but it bounced back at
me so I'll send it here to IBM-MAIN and attempt to figure out what went
wrong with my DB2 auth.

DB2 internals type of question.

ISSUE

We have a process that returns table rows matching on a masked name. The
"LIKE" predict is used with a wildcard to return the matching names.
We, not surprisingly, are experiencing time outs in our CICS region when
the mask is rather open ended. For example:  LIKE "%AND%.  There are
several million names in the database.

We are now limiting the cursor to stop after 50 names have been returned
but we still see some time outs.

MAIN QUESTION

Does the cursor, prior to returning any results, compile all the results
before hand?  Meaning, even though we have limited to cursor loop to 50
is it still compiling the thousands of results in the background?  Would
at FETCH FIRST help in this case?  Something else?

ADDITIONAL QUESTION

Is there a better method than the LIKE predict?  The name column is part
of an index and is the lead column.

We are contemplating removing the beginning wildcard.  LIKE 'AND%'.
This we figure should help but doesn't give the user as much
flexibility.

Any insights on main question would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Bill

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email from the State of California is for the sole
use of the intended recipient and may contain confidential and privileged
information. Any unauthorized review or use, including disclosure or
distribution, is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please
contact the sender and destroy all copies of this email.