shmuel+ibm-m...@patriot.net (Shmuel Metz  , Seymour J.) writes:
> This is a case where I prefer the Burroughs notation; they called the
> equivalent flag the presence bit, which is more neutral.

page transfers/io is done with channel programs which have real
addresses.

virtual memory has segment and page tables that map specific virtual
memory pages to real pages. when a virtual page is selected for
replacement, the corresponding page table entry invalid bit is set, the
contents of the real page is written out, the replacing virtual page is
read into the real page location, and then the corresponding page table
entry invalid bit (for the replacing virtual page) is trned off.

this is copy of presentation on cp/40 given at 1982 SEAS meeting
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/cp40seas1982.txt

where they modified standard 360/40 to support virtual memory.  In the
360/40, there were 64 4kbyte real pages. The added hardware gave each 4k
real page had an virtual address space identifier (somewhat analogous to
storage keys) plus a virtual page number. Running a virtual machine
involved loading a virtual address space identifier into control
register. In virtual address mode ... all real pages would be
interrogated for matching virtual address space identifier plus matching
virtual page number.

cp/40 morphed into cp/67 when standard 360/67 with virtual memory
hardware becamse available ... which looked much more like 370 virtual
memory segment and page tables ... that continue through the various
generations.

I've claimed that the 801/risc effort was at least partially in
reaction to the enormous complexity of the (failed) future system
effort (which was going to completely replace 360/370 ... but imploded
before even being announced) ... some past posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submain.html#futuresys

... where 801/risc was going to the opposite extreme (to FS) by
eliminating a lot of hardware complexity and simplifying the hardware.
One of the things in 801/risc were "inverted pagetables" ... which are
effectively much more like the 360/40 virtual memory implementation.
801/risc romp chip instead of having a virtual address space identifier
had a 12bit virtual segment identifier (aka "STE" associative ... rather
than the 360/370 "STO" associative). romp had 32bit virtual addressing
with 16 256mbyte segments. When going to run something ... the segment
identifiers were loaded into the 16 segment registers.

Running in virtual address space made would peal off the virtual address
space number and index the corresponding segment register, pull out the
segment identifier ... and then use the virtual segment identifier plust
segment virtual page number to look for the associated real page number.

In 801/ROMP, rather than turning off the invalid bit ... to indicate
virtual page is available ... the corresponding segment-id plus
segment-virtual-page-number is loaded (for corresponding real page).

misc. past posts mentioning 801, risc, romp, rios, power, power/pc, etc
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#801