Today's problem is yesterday's solution.

I have been away from ServerPac for over six years, but I was the original designer of the RACFDRV and RACFTGT jobs, so I will take full credit (or blame) for how they were intended to work.

The problem they were meant to solve was that the RACF definition documentation was virtually *never* correct, and this was borne out by innumerable PMRs when installation jobs failed. Worse, it was not really practical to test it all because it was too manual, and even when we tried to do that, typos and such caused endless grief.

So we created two jobs, with an overall z/OS section for each job, and then subsections for other things you could order along with z/OS to be included if you ordered them. The result *was* (at the time) tested against new, empty RACF databases and any bugs found were fixed. That structure virtually guaranteed some duplication in things like SETR commands, but because of how the internals of ServerPac production worked at the time there was no good way to prevent that.

The result was:

- Really unwieldy (we knew that going in)
- Not something anyone sane would ever actually run (ditto)
- Likely not done using anyone in particular's approach to security definitions (ditto again) - Intended as a *sample* one could pass off to a security administrator so that any appropriate additional definitions could be done to allow the jobs to run and the system to IPL. - Something that could be tested so that omissions were found at IBM rather than in the field.

PMRs related to missing documentation about security system definitions dropped precipitously after the jobs were added to ServerPac, so we at least accomplished the original goal.

If the jobs will not run against a new, empty RACF database (that is, essentially used to create a brand new test system, on which security definitions will be extended soon afterward), then in my opinion you should open a PMR. If you just don't like the way they work and want them to improve, you should open a requirement instead.

Then and now, the ServerPac team does understand the strong desire to find the needed deltas for an upgrade rather than always seeing the full set of minimally-required profiles for a new system. On my wish list for "someday" back then was a way to go determine what things were not defined (profiles, entries on access lists, etc.) and then create new *sample* (again!) definitions for people to give their security administrators, but other things intervened.

None of this changes anything, of course, but I thought some might want to know how we got here in the first place.

--
John Eells
z/OS Technical Marketing