On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 13:20:48 -0700, Charles Mills wrote:

>At least too many OPEN's is better than too many DYNALLOC's *and* too many
>OPEN's.

Ummm.  No.  A few years ago, I had an APAR created because
the z/OS UNIX (USS) command e.g.:

    $ cp  -P'SPACE=(5000,5000)'  homelog  //temp.test.space3

    cp: FSUM6260 write error on file "//temp.test.space3": EDC5092I An I/O
abend was trapped.
    $ ls -l homelog
    -rw-r--r--   1 user   group   346153 Jan 12 14:05 homelog

was failing with a Sx37, regardless of how large an extent I requested.
IBM's explanation:

o If the programmer specified SPACE, the C/LE RTL assumed a RLSE
  subparameter.

  (This seems precisely backward to me.  If the RTL supplies a generous
  default, RLSE may be appropriate.  If the programmer specified SPACE
  explicitly, give him what he asks for.)

o The command internally caused the data set to be opened and closed
  _four_ times (!?!?!?!).  After the first close, most of the space was
  released.  The attempt to write the actual data was bound to fail
  writing to a minimal extent.

IBM's reactions were:

o Specify a secondary extent.

o FIN.

o For compatibility, we'll retain the current behavior, but provide
  the programmer a NORLSE option.

The problem persists at z/OS 1.12:

    D37-04,IFG0554P,user,STEP1,SYS00017,41CA,TSO026,user.TEMP.TEST.SPACE3

There seems to be no NORLSE option.  If I supply a secondary
extent, I get an 8 block (1 track?) primary extent and a 4008 block
second extent.

<SIGH/>  I can't respect this.  Does any IBM representative dare to
comment on it?

-- gil