On Tue, 1 May 2012 10:28:33 -0500, Tom Marchant <m42tom-ibmm...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>On Tue, 1 May 2012 07:33:49 -0500, Staller, Allan wrote:
>
>>I can see a techno-political use for a "penalty" service class. i.e. If
>>a particular job exceeds the installation defined limits for a
>>particular type of work, migrate to a service class just barely above
>>discretionary, as a "punishment".
>
>IMO, most batch should be run in discretionary.  The exception is
>workload with turnaround requirements.  These should be met with
>response time goals.  A "penalty" service class that is "just barely
>above discretionary" makes no sense at all to me.
>
>When WLM has plenty of discretionary work to do, it is able to get
>the most work out of the system.

1) As someone already mentioned, there are legitimate applications
where batch is every bit as important as online / interactive work.
If you system is running at or near 100%, your not going to get
that batch work done at all, or not within SLAs if it is discretionary.

2) While your idea may work fine in a 100% production LPAR only,
most shops have LPARs where there is a mixture.   If all batch
is discretionary, what prioritizes production over test / development
batch?

I agree that test batch should usually be set to discretionary.   I say
usually because I'm sure there are some posts in the archives where
people have removed discretionary and given it a low importance
like 5 - and low velocity.    You can search the archives for their
reasons.

Mark
mailto:m...@mzelden.com