On Tue, 1 May 2012 14:32:44 -0500, Tom Marchant <m42tom-ibmm...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>I didn't say "All" batch is discretionary.  Also, not all production batch
>has the same requirements.

Sorry about that, my brain saw "most" as "all" when I read it the first
time.

I agree that all prod batch isn't alike either in most shops.   Typically
I've seen at least a "hot batch" type SC for production also.   I know
some shops I've been at had more than 2, but I think 2 production
batch SCs should suffice for most environments.

>Remember that discretionary work is managed like a Mean Time To Wait
>group.  IMO low priority work is managed better in discretionary than with
>either a low velocity goal or a low response time goal.

I like MTTW, and that is a benefit of discretionary.   Too bad you can't turn
a switch on for other batch SCs to use MTTW.    However, that isn't a good
enough reason at most shops I've been at to give production batch a
discretionary goal.  Which really means - no goal, no SLA, whenever you
get to it.   Even if doing that gets by without complaints (because you have
enough extra cycles to service it), you probably aren't setting up your
policy to meet business objectives.    I've never been at a shop that
said production batch can finish "whenever the system gets around to it".

Mark
mailto:m...@mzelden.com