>Please avoid an absurdity such as "AMODE(ANY)", where
>"ANY" no longer means "any", but instead "any except 64".

Tongue in cheek: sorry for not being prescient enough in (approximately)
1977 to think that someone might ever need 64-bits worth of
addressability.
It seems obvious now.

No, really: I agree.

And that is why those options are available in other forms now which I
recommend that you use -- such as '31' instead of ANY in AMODE, or in the
LOC parameters of STORAGE OBTAIN. We will never remove support for "ANY".
We can only encourage you to use better choices.

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design