On 2012-05-16 07:26, Elardus Engelbrecht wrote:
Robert Prins wrote:

Can anyone skilled in the art tell me why a compiler that probably dates back to the late
1970'ies or early 1980'ies generates the following short and sweet code for a PL/I
"BY NAME" assignment, while the not completely new (but still fairly recent)
version of Enterprise PL/I (V3R9) generates the very, very, very long-winded code below
it?

I'm not skilled in this art, but is your Enterprise PL/I (v3r9) also using
Language Environment or not?

Yes, it is.

Then again, I always thought that the fastest instructions are those ones that
are never executed...

Those instructions don't need to be optimized... :-)

Exactly!

Robert
--
Robert AH Prins