We have a long-running Started Task that controls the use of an ENF listener
for SMF interval record collection with an operator command.  The ENF listener
requires use of CSA storage.

When the Started Task receives an operator command to start SMF interval
processing it allocates CSA storage, registers the ENF listener, and WAITs for
interval expiration.

The question is: what should it do when the operator command says to stop SMF
interval processing?

The options seem to be:

1)      Deregister the ENF listener and free the CSA storage, meaning an
operator can switch SMF interval processing on and off, causing CSA storage to
be allocated and deallocated, possibly fragmenting CSA storage.  But when we
aren't collecting SMF interval data, we won't have an ENF listener registered.

2)      Leave the ENF listener registered, but stop writing records when the
interval expires. Don't stop the ENF listener and free CSA until the Started
Task terminates (or possibly a special operator command like /f stcname,SMF
STOP).  This approach is easier on CSA allocations for the case where the
operator is switching SMF interval collection on and off.  But it leaves an ENF
listener registered when one is not needed.

Which approach have you seen? Which is "better" (and why)?

Thanks,
--
...phsiii

Phil Smith III