Jake,

On 2012-06-12 07:54, Jake anderson wrote:
Thanks for your reply. I presume this would need little more research and
get back to you all once I recover it.

I have done something like this in 2005(?). The XMIT file was screwed and I could not get it back, but the contents, a PL/I library had sequence numbers and the PL/I was pretty standard, XXX: PROC ... END XXX; and it was FB(80).

I just treated it (on the PC) as a binary file, used a hex-editor to chop off the mangled XMIT headers and then read it into a text editor that could handle fixed length records. Removed the XMIT control characters, obvious from sequence numbers that were suddenly no longer aligned, saved it back as a single record and repeated this process a few more times. It took a couple of hours, but in the end I got all source back.

It will take you time, but text is recoverable.

Robert
--
Robert AH Prins
robert(a)prino(d)org