Here's a link.

http://www.elink.ibmlink.ibm.com/public/applications/publications/cgibin/pbi.cgi?SSN=06BOM0041890452602&FNC=SRH

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Mason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Sent: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 11:31:10 +0100
Subject: Re: VTAM Trace and manuals

A reference to the following appeared in a Google Groups  digest but not in my
reader. I'll be interested to see whether or not this response will be
correctly
attached to the original. I suspect not. If not, perhaps someone will explain
how postings get "connected".

freelance wrote:

Hi, I'm trying to read a Vtam trace.
Anyone knows what manual do I need?
I guess I need at least the following:
Systems Network Architecture: Formats (GA27-3136)
Anyone knows where I can find it online, or if there is some kind of
"tutorial" ?
Thank you !

---

The obvious manual is CS SNA Diagnosis Vol 1 and, perhaps, 2, GC31-6850-00 and
GC31-6850-00 for z/OS V1R7.0. Perhaps also CS SNA Data Areas Vol 1 and 2,
GC31-6852-00 and GC31-6853-00. You can view all of these online using the
following URL:
http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/Shelves/F1A1BK60 again for
V1R7.0.

Start from here http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/eserver/zseries/zose/bkserv/ if
you need another release, select "All bookshelves" and scroll down to
"Communications Server".

SNA Formats is always handy. Use this URL:
http://www.elink.ibmlink.ibm.com/public/applications/publications/cgibin/pbi.cgi?CTY=US&FNC=SRX&PBL=GA27-3136-16
and click on "Read" for most effective online access.

Of course, there are many different VTAM traces from the many options of the
internal trace to the relatively simple buffer trace. You didn't say which type
you were trying to read.

In connection with VTAM tracing, there's also another point I never hesitate to
mention - well, I shouldn't but there's one "lister" who takes me to task when
do - that, if you know you need a VTAM buffer trace, it's (one of) your local
system(s) that needs tracing and you have access to NetView, you should use the
Session Monitor "complete PIU" (CPIU) trace rather than messing about with GTF
and having to create a printout.

In terms of really understanding what's going on, the only "tutorial" is
suitable education and "experience". By "experience" here I mean that you have
learned to understand traces where everything is working perfectly. This way,
when something goes wrong, you can mentally compare the trace with what you
know
you should expect.

Chris Mason