McKown, John wrote (to IBM-Main):

> [snip] programmers want a "generic" facility [snip] Using a dataset
> trigger requires updates to CA-7 to trigger a different job for each
> dataset (unless you know another way!). Also, everytime a new dataset
> is created, then they need a new ftp job and a new trigger to be
> entered. [snip]

John: we use ESP from CyberMation but I expect that CA-7 will have
similar capabilities.  You can probably use wild-card patterns in the
triggering name then use a CA-7 substitute variable (%ESPTRDSN for
ESP) within the 'generic' JCL.  With ESP, you can also trigger a Rexx-
like procedure along with simple JCL submission that can create other
'user' variables ie. the destination server & directory.  I'd chat
with your resident CA-7 guru.  (or the vendor would likely be pleased
to help with a solution.)

I currently have JCL that operates for all of our environments (Dev,
QA, Prod, etc.) to dump & process an ISV log from Cics and it's
triggered from a single ESP event.  By parsing the triggering dataset
name ie. the HLQ, in the ESP procedure, all sorts of JCL proc
variables are set such as DB2 sub-sys name, Adabas DbId, StepLib HLQ,
etc.  'course, you need naming rules that allow you to do this.

---------->  signature = 6 lines follows <--------------
Neil Duffee, Joe SysProg, U d'Ottawa, Ottawa, Ont, Canada
telephone:1 613 562 5800 x4585                 fax:1 613 562 5161
mailto:NDuffee of uOttawa.ca     http:/ /aix1.uottawa.ca/ ~nduffee
"How *do* you plan for something like that?" Guardian Bob, Reboot
"For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."
"Systems Programming: Guilty, until proven innocent" John Norgauer
2004