<snip>
I want to be sure to get the TIMEZONE updated next month when Daylight
Saving Time starts in the USA.  I presume cycling SMTP is necessary and
appropriate, but can't find any specific info.
</snip>

IF the TZ variable is set properly, the recycle should not be necessary.
The
DATE/Time service will automatically adjust for DSD. The TZ variable
should
Look something like EST5EDT (or whatever is appropriate for your
timezone.

IIRC the EST stands for "east of Greenwich the 5 is the offset and EDT
indicates
US daylight savings time.

The TZ value is usually set in /etc/profile with code something like:

TZ=EST5EDT; export TZ

HTH,

P.S. I expect maintenance for this function somtime in the near future
to handle the changes from last year's energy bill.