On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 10:13:40 -0600, Joel C. Ewing <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> That's what had me a bit confused.  When I changed the storage
>> distribution to be only central with no expanded, the new config didn't
>> take affect until I did a DEACTIVATE, then an ACTIVATE on the LOAD
>> profile.  I'm still trying to find out whether ACTIVATE retains the
>> prior memory config.
>
>Definitely confusing.  Some things are picked up by a simple activate,
>others require deactivate/activate; and I haven't seen any clear
>documentation as to what falls in which category.  Another LPAR
>attribute we found that required a deactivate first is changing the
>active/reserved CPs.  We upgraded our z900, dynamically added the CP to
>z/OS 1.6, and updated the LPAR defs expecting that to resolve
>everything.  At next IPL we did only an activate without prior
>deactivate and z/OS reverted back to the old number of CPs.  Took a
>deactivate of the LPAR before the change became "permanent".

Hmmm... that is the exact thing I did recently and it worked.  That
was why I posted that the deactivate wasn't needed.  Of course that
was on a z9-109, but I'm sure I did the same thing on our z990s when
we had them.

I just tested changing storage on one of my z9-109 sandbox LPARs
and changing the number of reserved CPs without doing a deactivate
prior to an activate, and both changes were reflected on the running
system when I IPLed.

Interesting that there is a warning message on the HMC that indicates
that "additional actions may be required to activate these changes.
Reference the PR/SM Planning Guide." after updating the profile,
but the PR/SM planning guide document this clearly as you indicated.

The only thing that is clear is that the behavior of ACTIVATE has
changed on at least a z9-109.   If someone who has a z990 still
and a sandbox LPAR wants to test out of curiosity, I'd be interested
in the results.  However, it never hurts to do the deactivate and
probably takes less than 10 seconds, so I guess better safe than
sorry.

Regards,

Mark
--
Mark Zelden
Zurich North America / Farmers Insurance Group