Ulrich,

Then the only other thought I have is that you are doing this under ISPF.
You need to change the profile of the Data Set you are using from one that
has numbs on to a different profile.

I do not have a system in front of me.  But if you create a new VB file with
the profile you want, you maybe able to remove the requirement of numbers
cols 1-8.  That means no CNTL, TEXT, etc.. type of file.  Make a new one,
like MYVB.  So your new file might be called TSOID.JCL.MYVB

Lizette Koehler