OK, when I search the bookshelf on-line for z/OS 1.7, I get 386 hits for
'statement.'  In the JCL manual, it says (partially):
"A JCL statement consists of one or more 80-byte records. Each record is in
the form of an 80-column punched-card image. Each JCL statement is logically
divided into the following five fields...."

In Chapter 13 of the CLIST manual (z/OS V1R7.0 TSO/E CLISTs), there is a
section entitled "How to Read the CLIST Statement Syntax" and each following
section describes a different statement - ATTN, CLOSFILE, CONTROL, etc.

There is a section of the CLIST manual entitled "JCL Statements" which
contains this information:
"From a CLIST, you might want to submit a jobstream for execution. In the
CLIST, you can include the required JCL statements (EXEC, DD, and so on).
However, when you include the following JCL statements in a CLIST, you must
use a particular CLIST function to prevent the CLIST from modifying the
statements and causing subsequent JCL errors."

The IBM terminology site
(http://www-306.ibm.com/software/globalization/terminology/) defines
statement as:
An instruction in a program or procedure.
However, they don't define tautology.  :-)

For concatenation, I have no problem running this job:
//DPC088RX JOB (DPC088,JDG),'REXX RUN',CLASS=A,MSGCLASS=X,
//         MSGLEVEL=(1,1),NOTIFY=DPC088 TYPRUN=SCAN
//  EXEC PGM=IKJEFT1B
//SYSEXEC  DD DSN=DPC088.REXX.LIB,DISP=SHR
//SYSTSPRT DD SYSOUT=*
//SYSTSIN  DD DSN=DPC088.JCL.CNTL(REXX1),DISP=SHR
//         DD *
  %DISPDATE D
/*
//         DD DSN=DPC088.JCL.CNTL(REXX2),DISP=SHR
//         DD *
  %DISPDATE U
/*

It produces this result: