In addition to the 'Contractor vs. employee' split
there is also the
'professional vs "company man"' comparison

Do I do what is best for the people who cut my check,
could be a widget maker or a consultant body shop.
example: An Enron person going to any length to make his firm look good

Do I do what is best for my profession
 say insist on software service even in
location that is change / update resistant.

Contractor vs employee
professional vs company man
both assume the technical person is
submissive to some higher authority

Given
   declining job security
   outsourcing
   automation
Perhaps technical people should be thinking off
improving protection of there personal needs / rights
instead of what ever big brother happens to be mentioned.

Time has come where the places we do work should be
regarded as Clients rather than Masters.

Avram Friedman
[EMAIL PROTECTED]