Our ACC product hooks common allocation.  We have been doing this type
of thing for 20 years (ACC/SRS, Stop-X37, Pool-DASD).  The ACC product
already has code that adds SUBSYS to dd statements and then uses the
subsystem open/close routines to front-end get/put.  The hook is used
for a compression product that is used in Japan (we don't sell this part
in the US).  We could look at adding a different module that would do
record level security instead of calling the compression routine.  Send
me an email with your phone number if you want to talk about it.

I am not sure if any other shops would want something like this.  If
not, then it might not make sense for us to support something for just
one.

Tom

"Victor Gil" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> Thanks a lot to everybody responded.
>
> Sam, moving production files to a DBMS is not an option at this time
as it
> would require enormous changes to the applictions. And, yes, we are
talking
> about thousands of files.
>
> David, I am not longer a fan of any smart "hooks" into MVS services
> [certainly not into OPEN or SVC 99 logic] mainly because of the
potential
> issues with code maintenance. [Although I have to admit, 25 years ago
it
> was fun to take over DOS 3.x by coding your own $$B-transient module
that
> would merely change the new PSW address for, say, Program
Interruptions, to
> an address passed on the call and then just execute the $$B-module
<was it
> through SVC 2?> from your problem state routine and divide something
by
> zero].  And field-level encryption, again, requires massive changes to
the
> applications.
>
> TomW, Buying a product that allows to add SUBSYS= to a given DD would
be
> difficult to justify, but I'd love to learn what MVS services it uses
> perform its magic in the case of a dynamic allocation.
>
> TomS, I know very little about BatchPipes, but from your description
they
> don't sound any better than the subsystem approach in terms of the
issue
> with dynamic allocation.  As to your question - the confidential
fields
> [like the social security number] would be returned scrambled.
Obviuosly