Willie,

I'll try to answer all of your questions. I'll do this one from the
listserve web site, as it doesn't time out like my Roadrunner Email account
does when I take a little too long to reply.  I found some of my old JCL,
so I'll cut and paste that for the catalog moves.

1.  I think all of the IMS files were moved using the application backup
software.  I think we use a product from BMC that does faster backups and
restores.  We changed all of the delete defines for all of the master
files, and the next time they were reorged, they would go to the 3390
volume.

2.  We have almost no SMS managed data.  As in 1 above, we changed the
delete defines, which then had the new volser hard coded.

3.  I don't remember how I moved the MCAT, but I think I built a new one,
and then just changed the catalog pointer in the LOAD00 member to point to
the new catalog.  We have very little volatility in our MCAT.

4.  The user catalogs were all done on the weekend just before or after the
IPL.  Here are 4 jobs I ran to move a single catalog.  I kept the name of
each UCAT the same, as that seemed simpler.  Here are the jobs:

//TSYS2001 JOB (6377,TSO,0000),'MOVE LIB CAT 1',
//             NOTIFY=TSYS200,
//             CLASS=4,MSGCLASS=X,MSGLEVEL=(1,1)
//******************************************************************
//*  MOVE LIB CAT JOB 1
//******************************************************************
//MOVECAT  EXEC PGM=IDCAMS
//EXPDD    DD  DSN=TSYS200.EXPORT.VLIB001,DISP=(NEW,CATLG),UNIT=TSO,
//             SPACE=(CYL,(15,5),RLSE)
//SYSPRINT DD  SYSOUT=*
//SYSIN    DD  *
  EXPORT SYS1.USERCAT.VLIB001  OUTFILE(EXPDD) TEMPORARY
/*
//TSYS2002 JOB (6377,TSO,0000),'MOVE LIB CAT 2',
//             NOTIFY=TSYS200,
//             CLASS=4,MSGCLASS=X,MSGLEVEL=(1,1)
//******************************************************************
//*  MOVE LIB CAT JOB 2
//******************************************************************
//MOVECAT  EXEC PGM=IDCAMS
//SYSPRINT DD  SYSOUT=*
//SYSIN    DD  *
  DELETE SYS1.USERCAT.VLIB001  RECOVERY USERCATALOG
/*
//TSYS2003 JOB (6377,TSO,0000),'LIBCAT DEFINE JOB 3 ',MSGCLASS=X,
//         CLASS=2,NOTIFY=TSYS200
//*
//* LIB: IPO1.JCLLIB(ICFUCAT)
//* GDE: CBIPO MVS CUSTOMIZATION
//* DOC: DEFINE AN ICF USER CATALOG
//*
//DEFINE1 EXEC PGM=IDCAMS
//SYSPRINT DD  SYSOUT=*
//VOL      DD  UNIT=3390,VOL=SER=LIB901,DISP=OLD
//SYSIN    DD  *
  DEFINE  USERCATALOG -
          (NAME(SYS1.USERCAT.VLIB001)   -
          CYLINDERS(20 5) -
          VOLUME(LIB901) -
          CONTROLINTERVALSIZE(4096)  -
          BUFND(4) -
          BUFNI(4) -
          STRNO(3) -
          NOIMBED -
          NOREPLICATE -
          FREESPACE(20 20) -
          RECORDSIZE(4086 32400) -
          ICFCATALOG  -
          FILE(VOL)) -
   CATALOG(SYS1.MCAT.VHSPCAT)
/*
//TSYS2004 JOB (6377,TSO,0000),'MOVE LIBCAT JOB 4',
//             NOTIFY=TSYS200,
//             CLASS=4,MSGCLASS=X,MSGLEVEL=(1,1)
//******************************************************************
//*  MOVE CAT JOB 4
//******************************************************************
//MOVECAT  EXEC PGM=IDCAMS
//EXPDD    DD  DSN=TSYS200.EXPORT.VLIB001,DISP=OLD
//SYSPRINT DD  SYSOUT=*
//SYSIN    DD  *
  IMPORT INFILE(EXPDD) -
        OUTDATASET(SYS1.USERCAT.VLIB001)   -
        ALIAS UNLOCK INTOEMPTY
/*

I hope that helps.

Eric Bielefeld
P&H Mining Equipment

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 10:29:20 -0800, willie bunter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Hi Eric,
>
>  Thanks for getting back to me.  If you do have any info lying around I
would be very happy to accept it.  You mention IMS files.  Did you use the
vendor supplied utilities to transfer them?  I remember in 1993 I had a
problem with IMS.  I used DFDSS to copy and restore (selective).  The job
ran fine, but when I brought up CICS encountered abends.  Being under the
gun, I performed a restore using the IMS utility.