On Mar 24, 2006, at 8:23 AM, John Eells wrote:

--------------------SNIP-------------------
Also, to avoid RC4s from COPYMOD that would make a duly diligent sysprog from looking at (and up) messages that don't matter, always use PARM=SPCLCMOD with COPYMOD.

John,

Had not heard about that parm before. I looked it up and it was as clear as mud... (ok dark bear).

I got the gist of it and I guess that is all that is important.

Maybe the DFSMS people could use the help of some people can speak plain English.

Ed

To get back to the main thread, except for SAS and IDMS databases (and IDCAMS for the catalogs) I used DFDSS. The catalog issue was chiefly the issue of I wanted to do it because of well political reasons (enough said on that). I created a new mastercat and ran the "old" catalog with the program from the IPO tape that reads it and creates IDCAMS define statements to be run through idcams. I did use a stepcat so that could be an issue. (Don't get me going on stepcats)

The whole process went reasonably smoothly. I was on (at that time) bleeding edge apars with DFDSS (no blood on me though). When all was said and done it went well.

Of course the manual effort up front was not small, calling all the vendors etc. Its been over 15 years (IIRC) and all the vendors have incorporated all the fixes by now.

Ed