From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Denis Gaebler
Sent: Wednesday, April 05, 2006 7:37 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: Looking for SRB sample in PL/I or COBOL

Hi List,

thanks for the responses so far.
It was just an idea, if there was a possibility to move some CPU intensiv
pieces of code out to the upcoming zIIP processors (requires SRB envlave
mode). In our shop the main cost driver is CPU.
Nevertheless, I assume there are more issues waiting, if calling routines as
SRB. In high level languages it would be hardly possible to ensure the SRB
restrictions such as not calling SVCs etc. Not to mention the authorization
issues for normal programs.
If that were possible I would have continued to investigate if SRBs could be
used in IMS transactions. Some of our IMS transactions do a lot of scanning
of in memory tables, which requires a lot of CPU. Since this pieces of code
just do memory work, I thought that were candidates for SRBs, since those
code sections do not use any IMS services or SVCs.

Thanks for your responses.
Denis Gaebler.