On Tue, 11 Apr 2006, Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.) wrote:

>Other than being line mode, TSO EDIT is a *lot* more user friendly
>than vi. But if you're working on multiple Unix systems, it's useful
>to know an editor that will always be there.
>
>Then there are the people who actually like the thing. De gustibus.

vi used to be the only editor included on standard Unix installations.
Now, the vendors include other editors. However, if you have to boot from
the CD to recover a system in single user mode, vi is usually the only
editor available. You better know if you need to edit a file like
/etc/vfstab to get a system bootable again.

When I was converting from VM to Solaris, I hated vi. It was awkward and
confusing. I found myself ftp'ing my files from Solaris to VM, using XEDIT
and ftp'ing them back. Then, I finally made the decision that I needed to
learn how to use vi just like I used XEDIT. Now I like vi. I know that
sounds weird. I've done my research and learned how to do some neat things
with it. I still get the vi book out every now and then to see what other
things vi can do. It is very powerful. I have had Unix Sys Admins with
more experience than me, watch me editing a file and say "hey, how did you
do that?!".

Basically it comes down to what you know and what you are comfortable
with, whether vi or TSO EDIT or XEDIT.

Darren Evans-Young
Unix System Administrator
Network and Computing Support