andy corpes wrote:

Hi All,

We are having discisisons regarding an optimal region size for our
"standard" batch processing.

Currently, we use region=0M for all of our batch jobs without any noticeable
problems.

IMHO it's like lack of fuse in a circuit. Fuse is not needed ...unless something goes wrong.

Is this subparm useful anymore? it would appear that our system does not
care too much, but i am concerned about an slowly increasing number of JAVA
programs that have required up to 128meg to execute

What is the groups opinion on this issue.

My humble opinion is you should specify any finite value. It can be big, but finite. You can even specify it in JESPARM as default, just to forget about the problem. It is no waste of resources, since REGION does not imply "memory allocation", just "potential limit". Very different from SPACE parameter. Most "legacy" programs have static memory allocation, so they won't use higher limit. Some, i.e. DFSORT can use higher limit giving better performance.
However no limit does not sound reasonable for application jobs.

My $0.02

--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland