The PDS 8.4 tool from the CBT site does a beautiful job of expanding a PDS
directory. I recommend it HIGHLY! You'll use the EXPANDDIR(nnn) to add nnn
directory blocks. If you're nervous about it, by all means take a FDR backup,
but I've never had it fail, in all the years I've used it. And PDS is a
WONDERFUL TOOL!!!  Saved my posterior many times over!!

> There are tools that can expand PDS directories, but I have not
> had great success with them.
>
> In the past, I would have recommended converting to a PDSE;
> unfortunately there have been all sorts of integrity issues with
> them ever since IBM removed the requirement for them to be
> SMS-Managed.  And, that requires a re-allocation, anyways.

I've been in a *very* large shop for about four years.  The
responsibilities are extremely segregated for these systems, so I
rarely get to see the sysprog side of life.  (ESP, ReXX, MVS
application support and upgrades are part of my usual fare).

So, owing to my lopsided exposure to mainframes,  I am hoping that
you'll explain these PDSE issues.  I've been using PDSEs
extensively for personal datasets and haven't experienced any
problems as a result of SMS interaction (or any other).  If the
PDSE datasets are SMS managed, does this alleviate the problems
you've seen?

Wade Curry
Sr. Implementation Mgr.
AT&T Services, Inc.

---
[This E-mail has been scanned for viruses by the YourNet Connection Virus
system]
[For more information, please go to http://www.ync.net/YourMAIL]