-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Mark
Sent: Friday, August 25, 2006 3:13 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: VSAM CLOSE failure problem

I'm running an asm recovery routine that closes several VSAM files.

3 of the files close without fail.   All files are KSDS files.

The last one gets a failure.

r15 = 4
ERR = 0
acberflg = 0

When the task ends, we get the dreaded SC03 abend.  The DDN noted is the
one
that failed to close.

I'd like to figure out why the close isn't working.
z/OS 1.6 system.

Has anyone else seen this problem?

If yes, do you know of a resolution?

If no, have any ideas where I might go from here?
<snip>
I have seen this in years gone by. In my case it was a DCB/ACB that had
been FREEMAINed before close. So the DEB is noted as OPEN, but the
pointer to the DCB/ACB points to "dead air" and you get the ABEND.

This can also happen if the FREEMAIN is done asynchronously with the
CLOSE processes (two TCBs using the same storage).

However, please look at this (from "DFSMS Macro Instructions for Data
Sets" SC26-7408-03 p. 127):

If register 15 contains 4, use SHOWCB to display the ERROR field in each
access method control block to determine if a VSAM data set was not
closed successfully and the reason it was not. See "SHOWCB-Display
Fields of an Access Method Control Block" on page 98. Table 10 gives the
reason codes the ERROR field may contain following close processing.

However your ACBERFLG=0 contradicts the table! And it would be hard to
have that if the ACB storage had been FREEMAINed.

Regards,
Steve Thompson