/snip/

CTBL is useful for referencing common area control blocks.

The name:token service has system-level, primary-space-level,
home-space-level, and task-level scopes for the names. The system-level
is visible by all address spaces, so you must be careful to avoid name
collisions. The primary-space-level and home-space-level are visible only
within the particular address space. The name won't collide with an
unrelated address space. The task-level is visible only to the task that
defines the name. The name won't collide with names used by other tasks
or with address space level names or system-level names.

I use both name:token services and the CTBL thing. I don't know of any
IBM recommended prefixing for the name:token.

What I DO know is that I can find my cryptographic global control
block with 5 load instructions using CTBL, or an unknown number
of instructions using name:token services. So, I think the CTBL
thing is always faster than name:token services, and I don't have
to worry about naming conventions.

Currently, I must sniff the retrieved token to see if it looks like
what I expect, to avoid a possible collision with someone else who
happens to be using the same name (unlikely -- but I must verify it).

My CTBL chaining is designed for backward compatibility. I can grow my
pointer vectors in any direction for multiple products and still be
compatible with my older software that doesn't know about the new stuff.
I don't need working storage for looking at CTBL. I do need working
storage for name:token services.

I will probably continue to use name:token services in addition
to the CTBL. CTBL seems to be more efficient and easier to use.

Jeffrey D. Smith
Principal Product Architect
Farsight Systems Corporation
700 KEN PRATT BLVD. #204-159