I got an answer from IBM's z/OS Support, who found an old PMR with a
similar problem described.  VM does not support CPMF (this is currently
not documented anywhere).  Thus, RMF cannot provide accurate FICON channel
utilization data for any z/OS guest machine.  To get valid FICON
utilization numbers, you have to use a product running on VM (such as VM
Performance Toolkit), or use RMF running in a native z/OS LPAR on the same
machine.

This is good to know.  It's ironic to learn it just as we're on the verge
of moving the z/OS guest into its own LPAR!

Thanks, Laura

  • Re: Correlating CHPID utilization with DASD device ac... Laura Prill