On 5 Sep 2006 18:30:31 -0700, in bit.listserv.ibm-main you wrote:

>>let's see "LE/COBOL" has been available for what 15 years now, it's time to
>>bite the bullet and get off of
>cobol II and vs cobol
>period. end of comment.
>
>So! You're ready to come out to my shop.
>Ready to re-compile everything.
>Test it.
>Fix the incompatibilities.
>For free?
>Gee. Where where you during Y2K?

Burroughs which became the A series division of Unisys still will
require recompilation of programs that use system facilities that are
being upgraded.  In the past, I believe they have required mass
recompilation, sometimes because of underlying hardware change.  This
does give an incentive for making certain you have the correct source.
IBM may also require this on the i series but someone more familiar
with that environment may prove me wrong.  On the other hand  Unisys
is still supporting COBOL 74, the equivalent of OS/VS COBOL more or
less.  VS COBOL II, release 4 and later are COBOL 85.