-- snip --
My question is, "So INSTALL writes the home address and record 0.  So
what?"  What is the benefit of doing INSTALL and INIT vs just the INIT?
(All of our DASD is on virtual arrays, in case that makes a difference.)  I
have never bothered with the INSTALL before; is there a reason I should?
-- snip --
It may be useul to use INSTALL if you planned to establish PPRC with those
devices as the primary. PPRC will only send R0 in that case (8 bytes)
rather than the whole track.
-- snip --

PPRC is the reason our ICKDSF INIT procedure has been changed to do a
medial init  It was required that the R0 be properly initialised. DASD was
IBM ESS.

John