John,

I think that if you look at the output from RPTOPTS carefully,
you will see that POSIX(ON) and XPLINK(ON) are set by the program that you
are running (java) and not from installation defaults.

It is an unfortunately common problem that z/OS Java on runs VERY VERY slowly
if certain LE or BPXPARM parameters are not set correctly.    If you run:

time java -cp $JAVA_HOME HelloWorld

on real z hardware (not emulated Herc or Flex), and it takes more than a couple of seconds of real time, then you probably have a problem with the installation and customization of java (or LE) on your z/OS system. The z/OS Java Diagnosis guide is best published place to go for help, but more often than not you will have to open a problem with IBM to resolve
the issue.

It would really be nice if the z/OS SDK did some sanity checking on the runtime environment and printed warning messages for these kinds of problems. The "jdkiv" tool (available from the support center) can help in some cases, but not very often in my experience.

HTH,

Kirk Wolf
http://dovetail.com

Chase, John wrote:
That's what I thought, but in addressing a performance issue with a
vendor product here that runs in z/OS UNIX (Java, to be precise), their
support person had me run the Java Helloworld application with
_CEE_RUNOPTS('rptopts(on) rptstg(on)').  The results had some
differences from both our "Non-CICS" and "CICS" LE installation defaults
(in particular, the UNIX environment has POSIX(ON) and XPLINK(ON) while
both "known" installation default members have them (OFF)).