I didn't see right away that you were trying to invoke the 64bit version
JAVA 1.4. I found this APAR on IBMLINK:  PK24855

ERROR DESCRIPTION:
  java -version when running J9VM displays the following message:

  JVMJ9VM023I This may indicate that JAVA_HOME is incorrect, or
  that class libraries are not installed.
  JVMJ9VM015W Initialization error for library jclscar_23(14):
  JVMJ9VM009E J9VMDll Main failed Could not create the Java
  virtual machine.

  LOCAL FIX:
  Increase your REGION size.  That is, when logon to the tso/e
  logon screen on the size parameter:
  e.g.
  SIZE=2000000

I tried it on y asnd-box LPAR and I got this error:  Could not create JAVA
virtual machine. (And I have a 512M reagion size) Take a look at their
LOCAL fix... It looks like a 2 gig region size to me !!!