On Thu, 2006-11-02 at 15:44 -0600, Mark Zelden wrote:

> The jury is still out on what a good default to set is (I have
> mine set to 10G), but IMHO setting memlimit to anything less
> than 2G makes no sense.

Seems a lot of people are in the process of the 1.4 - 1.7 "leap of
faith". Lots of things will start raising their heads - this being one.
On my testbed I (deliberately) have all the dodgy traps in place, and
memlimit zero.
Hence I know about the Java_64 issue.
For those taking the plunge this is probably a good time to heed Marks
advice.

However, ...
it does exemplify the concerns I have expressed in the past. If the
architects of (z/OS) Java_64 were unable to conceive of a means of
making their product 64 bit capable without actually requiring storage
above the bar, how competent can we expect the users to be.
I don't know how to write a "fork bomb" in Java, but I'll bet it ain't
hard.
A sensible memlimit would be sensible.

Shane ...
(cheers Ramiro)